Monday, September 20, 2010

Technology and Mathematics

Using Technology to Teach Mathematics

As quoted from Walle, Karp, and Williams (2010), p.111, "Thinking of technology as an "extra" added on to the list of things you are trying to accomplish in your classroom is not an effective approach."

That statement struck me as 'out of the ordinary', at least in my personal world. I always had this misconception that too much usage of technology would probably hinder the development of mathematics concepts and skills. Hence, once again, I am rather taken aback to realize that technology should be not seen as an "extra" but rather as an essential tool! 

Moving on to the next page, the authors spoke of using calculators in Mathematics instruction. According to my knowledge, Dr. Yeap has mentioned that calculators were permitted during both papers of elementary mathematics paper. That certainly was different to the era that I was in! I now know that calculators are not to be seen as a 'hindrance' but more of a tool to help develop concepts, enhance problem solving, and improve attitudes and motivation of math learners. 

As I was browsing the website, "NCTM Illuminations" recommended on p.124 of the textbook, I came across this activity of "Investigating Shapes (Triangles)". I liked the way the planner organize the lesson into 4 sequential activities beginning with using blocks, continued by drawing and tracing, as well as geoboards, and making virtual triangles on the computers.

Click here for a link to the activity, "Invsetigating Shapes - Triangles"

Click here for the link to the activity "Investigating Shapes (Triangles)"

No comments:

Post a Comment