Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Geometric Thinking

In chapter 20, the authors asserted that, "A rich understanding of geometry has clear and important implications for other areas of the curriculum." I remember being very interested in the topic of geometry when I was in secondary school. Hence, when Dr. Yeap challenged us with the pentagon problem in class, I have to say that I felt a leap in my heartbeat. I was excited! =) 

Although I didn't mange to solve the problem almost immediately, I was still relatively pleased when I did manage to figure it out. I guess my spatial sense was quite keen (haha!). Some people may feel that they are not born with spatial sense but the authors tell us in chapter 20 that that typical belief is simply untrue! A better competence in geometric thinking requires having an increased emphasis on geometric reasoning provided consistently over time. So fret not, for all those who think that they naturally have no 'talent' in geometric thinking, for persistence and focus helps!!



Tangrams... It's not the first time I played with them and through the lesson, I finally came to know its real name! It wasn't easy for me to construct the shape with all 7 pieces (I stayed during the break and kept trying)... I guess my spatial sense and geometric reasoning somehow 'weaken' at that period of time. Nevertheless, it was really rather fun! 


No wonder I get so tired after each lesson... I must have exercised too much of my brain cells! =P

No comments:

Post a Comment