Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Most Significant Impact

The course module 'Elementary Mathematics' first felt like a horrible nightmare before it began and slowly drew me in as each lesson went by. By the end of the 2nd lesson, I felt drawn to math and realized how fun it could be to be actually physically in a mathematics class. Frankly, I have never felt that way in a math class. It always bore me to tears when I was a student in my younger days.

Dr. Yeap has demonstrated the 'magic' of math and uncovered the fun side of problem sums in this module. I came to realize the importance of math lesson is also to inculcate the love of mathematics in the young learner (so they will never end up with how I was before)! 
I learned that it doesn't always have to lead to the right answer during your first few attempts; it was really enjoyable to come up with conjunctions and discussing them with my course mates, and eventually coming up with a deeper understanding. That was so unlike the "Don't ask me why, but this is how you do it!" that my math tutor would always say when I raised a question. =( 
All in all, it was a very pleasant time, much to my surprise! Kudos to you, Dr. Yeap!

No comments:

Post a Comment