Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Reflections on Chapter 1 & 2


I literally rolled my eyes at the sight of "EDU330 Elementary Mathematics" module on my course schedule outline and cringed when I received the textbook 'Elementary & Middle School Mathematics" by A. V. Walle, K. S. Karp, and J. M. B. Williams.

"Math was my least favorite subject."

But was I wrong! My biased assumption of 'another boring mathematics textbook' soon became an eye-opener into a new era of mathematics teaching and learning. As the opening paragraph of Chapter 1 dictates, in this fast-moving and modern world we live in, mathematical competency translates directly into better opportunities to a 'brighter future'.

As quoted from Walle, Karp, and Williams (2010) p.1, "Ultimately, it is you, the teacher, who will shape mathematics for the children you teach."

As opposed to what I have personally experienced as a mathematics learner, the 6 principles listed under the Principles and Standards for School Mathematics provided many liberating insights. Gone were the days where learners were only expected to 'memorize' the 'correct steps' to obtain the right answers. In this changing era, students are encouraged to learn mathematics with understanding; to think and reason mathematically to solve the problems and generate new ideas. 

At this point, it is almost 'tragic' to recall how tough it was for me to do mathematics without actually understanding what I was doing!

The authors suggested that at least 60% of all new jobs in our modern society today will require mathematical and logical skills that are possessed by merely 20% of the workforce in the United States (Walle, Karp & Williams, 2010).

Although the statistics shown referred to the population from the US, I felt it first-hand when I was still a student pursuing my Diploma in Early Childhood education just last year. Being born in a low-middle income family, I had wanted to take on part-time jobs to be more financially independent. Then came an opportunity to be a tutor (well-paid) but alas! The job offered was to be a P5 Math teacher. I squirmed from the insides (although I got an A2 for my O'levels math paper). The problem was I only knew the procedural process and did not have sufficient conceptual knowledge to be able to teach another.

Walle, Karp, and Williams (2010) also argued that the language of doing mathematics has to be dealt with accordingly to promote meaningful learning. Reading the terms 'reducing' and 'plussing' made me fall off my chair laughing. It is ironic that I came to realize the contradictions of these terms only now. Hence, it reminds me once again of the significance of what a teacher says in class. 

Even theorists like Jean Piaget and Lev Vygotsky promotes optimum learning to involve making connections among new and existing ideas (Walle, Karp & Williams, 2010). Learning mathematics means having both conceptual and procedural understanding.

A link that addresses how to teach math:

Being a new graduate, I have little experience in teaching. However, I think that my disadvantage is an advantage at the same time. Not yet tainted by the possible repetitive and monotonous feelings resulting from many years of teaching, I am very much open to new ideas. Hence, the implications mentioned in both chapters enlightened my perceptions of teaching particularly math. Although aiming for students to achieve relational understanding may be a demanding process, students eventually benefit to a great extent!

At this point with least malice, I wished from the bottom of my heart that I had learned math in times alike the above-mentioned new era of teaching and learning mathematics.

A link that addresses meaning of math for a new era:




No comments:

Post a Comment